Drill jumbo safety solution with transponder localization technology
Drill rigs and drill jumbo safety relies on the robust and multichannel iRTT™ (indurad RadioTransponderTag) localization technology for detecting persons and vehicles in close proximity to the machine. iDrillrig safety is characterized by anti-collision zones around the machine. iRTT™ also comes with a wider range of applications from collision avoidance and positioning, via access monitoring and generally for productivity control.
How does it work?
Depending on the drillrig dimensions and geometry, the required number of iRTT-AU (AntennaUnit) tags is placed all around the machine. Human operators carry light-weight iRTT-CP (ClientPersonnel) units in their helmets or on their belts. They can be detected at a maximum distance of 150 m underground. This allows for several flexible alarm zones around the machine. This information is used to adapt drill speed and interlock machine movements to create a safe and productive working environment.
Permanent tracking of all registered transponders in the environment
Examples of protection zones which can be customized with indurad software
Why is it an improvement?
iRTT™-was specifically designed for underground applications. Typical performance features are:
- High range detection: > 150 m underground
- Without line of sight: Up to 50 m ‘around the corner’ detection of tagged objects and persons
- Typical positioning accuracy: 30 cm
- Long battery life: Equipment 5 years, person tag 6 months
- Operational data transmission: Transmission of battery status and other data (operating hours, tank level, etc.) via radio-broadcast / courier-communication
- Scalability & options: External display, external field antenna, above ground data server, operating data acquisition, etc
DIN EN 16228
The iRTT-technology is an innovative response to the new DIN EN 16228 “Protection against movable parts” norm. The iRTT™ is a “sensitive protection device” and therefore represents an efficient and practical alternative to mechanical protection devices (e.g. protective grids). In particular for underground drill jumbos the use of mechanical barriers would seriously obstruct the working process, while some drilling positions would not be reachable anymore.