2D/3D level control for highly dynamic environments - apron feeders and surge bins
iApron™ is a highly reliable solution for monitoring filling height (including material distribution and surface contour) and volume in apron feeders, surge bins and comparable structures. The complex measurements are reduced to a PLC readable format.
iApron PackageFilling Height
iApron Filling Height Control is based on indurad 2D/3D radar sensors and provides real-time profile level contours even in highly dynamic environments.
iApron Volume is an extension of the iApron Filling Height function. Based on the real time 2D or 3D level data and the geometry of the apron feeder or surge bin, a simple volume approximation can be achieved, irrespective of dust levels or other difficult conditions.
How does it work?
Solution Layout: iApron™ usually consists of one or several iDRR™ (indurad DualRangeRadar) radar sensors plus one central iRPU™ (indurad RadarProcessingUnit). From this processing unit the data is handed over to a PLC or SCADA system.
Depending on the geometry of the vessel the radar sensors are installed inside or outside, measuring material level and volume 15 times per second in 2D/3D.
Why is it an improvement?
Common Technologies lack the ability to measure reliably – which is the required basis for online measurement and automation, e.g. of car dumping processes. Beside this,
- Laser sensors fail when exposed to heavy dust concentrations
- Level gauge radar sensors fail due to insufficient data (1D, spillage, multipath reflections, slow measurement rate)
- Ultrasonic sensors have a long latency and are affected by dust
Overcoming Limitations: indurad iApron™ is the only solution that combines low latency and stable results in a single maintenance-free sensor architecture:
- Measures the filling level in 10 virtual sectors in 2D space
- Multiple false sectors still result in valid measurements
- One iDRR™ replaces 10 simple level gauge devices
- Alternative: Measuring 3D profile and calculating the volume in real-time
- By default, falling material is filtered from the data by a particle speed filter
What are the benefits?
- The ultimate answer to avoid damage/reduce wear to the apron feeder plates and bushings
- An effective protection from over and underloading
- Frequent maintenance and sensor cleaning not required
- Operational where alternative solutions quit
- Easily adaptable to any type of industrial interface