Combined Anti-Collision and Face-Control Solution for Shovels
iShovel™ is indurad’s solution for collision avoidance and operator assistance for all shovels and excavators. Based on the unique indurad DualRangeRadar (iDRR™) sensor technology, iShovel™ is the first fully reliable, real-time and all-round protection and support solution for shovels in difficult and adverse environments.
How does it work?
Solution Layout: Several indurad DualRangeRadar (iDRR™) sensors are mounted around the shovel in order to scan an area of roughly 50 m in diameter around the shovel itself. The number of sensors depends on the size and kind of the present shovel (hydraulic shovel, electric shovel, rope shovel, dragline etc.).
Motion and positioning sensors like the indurad StateMeasurementUnit (iSMU™) measure the operation mode of the shovel. The indurad RadarProcessingUnit (iRPU™) calculates the size and shape of the collision zones based on the current operation mode of the shovel.
Why is it an improvement?
Common Technologies: Usually, a safety device for shovels simply combines a cheap radar sensor with a camera. Once the radar sensor (range up to 10 meters) detects something, the camera is activated and an image of the section is displayed. This approach comes with a lot of known and dangerous drawbacks:
- Operator annoyance is a huge problem, due to the large number of false alarms caused by low quality 1D radar sensors
- Operators often need to analyze grainy camera pictures – at night, in rain and in dust, which eventually wears out the operator’s eyes and creates additional safety issues
- The system does not take the status of the shovel into account: There is no collision zone adjustment when the system is not moving, crawlers are travelling nearby, etc.
- Limited scope of collision avoidance functions: no operator assistance (like parking assistance, face scan etc.)
Breaking Limitations: The iShovel™ system is highly adaptive to each current working situation, provides full operator assistance and is a truly integrated solution:
- Reliable collision avoidance solution
- Very few false alarms due to 2D object localization instead of bubble protection
- High operator acceptance (“operator buddy”)
- Customizable to each type of shovel
- Integration of operator assistance (3D face scan, parking assistance, double side loading)
What are the Benefits?
This solution provides different types of information live and highly reliably to shovel operators, maintenance personnel, supervisors and plant managers at the same time. It therefore qualifies as a true multi-level monitoring solution to increase overall plant safety.
- Operator Assistance: Where is the truck? What's the height of the truck tray? Where is the face? Has the truck already arrived for double site loading? Etc.
- Safe: No more collisions
- Reliable: Very few false alarms, if any
- Customizable: Highly adaptive to whatever equipment you have
- Enduring: Reduced wear with more and more precise control information
Where is it used?
Industries/Materials: This solution can be used wherever hydraulic shovels, electric shovels, rope shovels and draglines are used – thus, in any kind of discontinuous mining operation. It is also frequently used in combination with In-Pit Crushing and Conveying (IPCC) solutions, which has turned out to increase the productivity in these places significantly. iShovel™ may be employed for all types of material handling in many industries:
- Iron Ore
- Copper Ore
- Tar / Oil Sands
If you want to know more about this solution, please contact us directly.