World’s first Radar-based Belt Volume Scanner with Contact-Free Speed Sensor
iBelt™ is a cutting edge solution for belt volume measurement that integrates smoothly into any existing infrastructure. Measuring both belt load and (optionally) speed and misalignment with >99% accuracy, it provides accurate information on volume flow, production history, belt alignment, belt occupancy rate and overall efficiency.
You may find more information about this solution on the iBelt website:
How does it work?
Solution Layout: One embedded indurad DualRangeRadar iDRR™ with an inbuilt indurad RadarProcessingUnit iRPU™ is installed above the running belt to measure the volume flow. If wheel encoders or inductive switches are not reliable enough, the velocity of the belt may be monitored by the contact-free indurad DopplerVelocityRadar iDVR™.
The optimum installation position for the iBelt™ solution is at a height of 1.5 times the belt’s width. Optionally, indurad uses the LinearDynamicRadar iLDR™ on each side of the belt for edge detection, alignment monitoring and freeboard measurement.
Why is it an improvement?
Common Technologies to measure the load of conveyor belts all come with the known disadvantages and limitations: Laser scanners are
- Sensitive to dust and weather
- Require frequent cleaning and maintenance
Radiometric measurement devices
- Come with high acquisition costs
- Require radiation protection and registration
Belt scales, as the most common technological approach have
- Static errors such as wear or misalignment and require frequent calibration
- Drift and intermittent errors caused by temperature, belt tension and vibrations, which cannot be calibrated at all
- Difficulties to measure the water content of bulk material in a controlled fashion
Breaking Limitations: The iBelt™ is a contact-free volume scanner providing data on volume, not mass. Today, most bulk measuring processes use mass for control, as for instance belt scales do. The main reason for belt scales being widely used: simply because they have been around for decades! Working with volume and completely contact-less overcomes the drawbacks of these common technologies and brings about the following advantages:
- Single lifetime calibration if mechanical belt structure not changed
- Higher accuracy with less equipment installed
- Contact-free technology allows for simple mechanical installation
- Density may be calculated online in combination with a belt scale
What are the Benefits?
iBelt™ is both a compact and highly flexible solution to fit any belt and any requirements. Based on the award-winning indurad radar sensor technology, it brings the following benefits:
- Fast: installation within one shift, easy calibration
- Intuitive: own iWEB™ Human Machine Interface
- Integrative: connects to all industrial interfaces
- Smart: current + retrospective production
- Reliable: operative under all environmental conditions + on all belts
- Enduring: no maintenance required
- Money-saver: reduce wear, downtime, avoid over/underfilling and cut excessive power consumption
Where is it used?
Industries/Materials: iBelt™ is in use around the world in a wide spectrum of applications. It has proven to provide significant benefits for our customers. iBelt™ is a highly adaptable and worry-free solution for industries that demand reliable and exact information about material flow in their processes on a constant basis:
- Material handling, power plants and steel (coal, ore)
- Mining, stone and soil (rock, sand, gravel)
- Paper and Pulp (wood chips, cellulose)
- Agriculture (soybeans, grains, meal products)
- Chemical industry (fertilizer, salt)
If you want to know more about this solution, please contact us directly.